Our dentist may recommend a night guard in Hagerstown, Maryland, if you are experiencing symptoms of bruxism (teeth grinding), such as tooth wear, an aching jaw or migraines. A night guard is a special type of mouth guard that is used to treat bruxism, or teeth grinding and clenching. A custom-made night guard fits your smile and provides a stable cushion for your teeth and jaws to prevent further damage and preserve your teeth.
If Dr. Everett Eklund and our team suspect that you suffer from bruxism, we may recommend a night guard to protect your teeth from damage and prevent teeth grinding while you sleep. Many people who suffer from bruxism are unaware of the condition because it occurs while they sleep. Common signs of nighttime teeth clenching and grinding include:
- Chronic jaw pain, facial pain and ear pain.
- Waking up with a tired or tight feeling in the jaw.
- Frequent tension headaches and migraines.
- Excessive tooth wear, leading to chipped, flattened, cracked or very worn teeth.
- Extremely worn tooth enamel, exposing the inner layers of the tooth.
- Indentations on the side of the tongue.
- Increased tooth sensitivity.
If you notice the signs of bruxism, you may benefit from a custom night guard. Do not hesitate to ask our team about night guard options for you. Call Potomac Dental Centre at 240-329-2398 today to learn more!